This was our first outing to record the carols around Cornwall and we had a brilliant time in Redruth on Saturday for the revival of the Redruth Wassail. We took the wassail bowl from pub to pub with a whole host of musicians and singers. The bowl will reside at the Oddfellows club for safekeeping until the following year. Thanks to all who organised it and for the goodwill of the pubs too. Here’s to many more. Meuras!
Sally and Hilary are at it again! After the success of their first book Shout Kernow, celebrating the pub songs of Cornwall they are once more planning to travel around Cornwall to all kinds of places and venues but this time their mission is to record the carols of Cornwall being sung in situ ‘where they do belong to be’. They hope to represent a variety of locations: church, chapel, pub, out on the street, people’s houses, etc. showing how our carols are embedded in the communities from which they come, selecting ones that are most popular or meaningful to the area they come from or to the people who sing them.
Here’s some of the places they’ll be visiting (nearly all in the month of December!):
Bodmin, Bolingey, Boscastle, Bridge, Bude, Calstock, Falmouth, Four Lanes, Halzephron, Luxulyan, Padstow, Paul, Pencarrow, Penzance, Polperro, Pool, Port Isaac, Redruth, St Neot, St Day, St Ives, St Just, Stithians, Treen, Tregajorran, Troon,
..and some of the carols too:
Boscastle Jack, Stratton Carol, Can Dilly, Bodmin Wassail, Treen While Shepherds, Lyngham, Hark The Glad Sound, Lo He Comes, Hail Sacred Day, Awake Ye Nations, Choir Of Angels, Arise & Hail, Pendeen While Shepherds, Hail Smiling Morn, Newlyn While Shepherds, Sound, Sound, Hellesveor, See The Morning, St Day, Glory, Glory, Stithians While Shepherds, Harky,Harky, Jesse, Rouse,Rouse, Polperro While Shepherds (Xmas Time), Holly & Ivy, What Heavenly Music, Carol Carol Christians, A Virgin Unspotted, Redruth Wassail, Wassail The Silver Apple, Lo The Eastern Sages, Calm On The Listening Ear.
As you can imagine the cost of this travelling will be quite large so to raise money for this we have produced a pack of 6 unique Cornish Christmas cards for sale at £5 (+ £1.50 P&P). Please contact Hilary at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to support us and order a pack!
Thanks to all who’ve been able to come along to our previous talks and celebrations AND especially so if you brought the book! Here’s our latest dates for the summer; both talks about the book and celebrations where we return to the lovely pubs that sponsored us and have a grand sing with the groups there – hope you find one that suits you to come along to!
- Friday 24th July – Shout Kernow talk, St Austell Library, 2 Carlyon Road,St Austell, Cornwall, PL25 4LD
- Saturday 1st August – Port Eliot Literary Festival. Shout Kernow talk at The Idler Academy. 6.15pm www.porteliot
- Monday 3rd August – Shout Kernow celebration with members of the Mousehole Male Voice Choir at The Kings Arms in Paul , evening. www.thekingsarmspaul
- Monday 24th August – Shout Kernow celebration with members of the Mevagissey Male Choir at the Fountain Inn, Mevagissey, evening. www.mevagissey fountain
- Friday 11th September – Shout Kernow talk at Kresen Kernow, The Cornish Studies Library, Alma Place, Redruth TR15 2AT 01209 216760, 6pm
- Sunday 20th September – Shout Kernow celebration with the Bencoolen Wreckers at The Bencoolen Pub, Bude, evening. www.bigpubguide:bencoolen-inn
Also you’ll always find us with the Red River Singers on the first Sunday of the month, having a sing at The Countryman Inn, Piece, Redruth, Cornwall TR16 6SG 01209 215960
To find out more about shouts across Cornwall see Shout Kernow Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/shoutkernow?fref=ts
Find out more on the links below.
Thanks to Mike Brown!